The Chennai Centre for China Studies (CCCS), registered under the Tamil Nadu Societies Registration Act 1975 (83/2008 dated 4 April 2008), is a non-profit public policy think-tank, with the following objectives:
- Carry out in-depth study of developments relating to China with priority to issues of concern to India like
- the Sino-Indian border problem.
- China-Pakistan nexus.
- Prospects of Sino-Indian economic and trade relations.
- Future evolution of China’s politics and its impact on India and the world.
- China-India-ASEAN relations.
- Scenarios on China’s new found role in SAARC.
- Growing importance of Southern India for Chinese interactions, investments etc.
- India-China-Southeast Asia cultural links.
- Offer workable solutions/ policy alternatives on the basis of studies, to the strategic planners and decision makers in India, on questions of bilateral, regional and global importance.
- Create public opinion, particularly in South India, on the implications arising out of China’s rise.
- Provide a forum for dialogue with China scholars in India and give space for expression of alternate opinions in India on China-related topics.
- Provide a sound database for research on China with special attention to tapping information available in Chinese language material, published in China, so as to benefit scholars, media and think-tanks in India as well as rest of the world.
- Address the requirements of the business community in India, particularly informing them about the nature of emerging business opportunities in or problems while dealing with China, like the still undeveloped judicial system/ questions concerning intellectual property rights in China.
- Liaise with think-tanks specialising on China, both in India and abroad, with an aim to conduct exchanges of views on China.
- Patron: Mr. B.S. Raghavan IAS (Retd),
Former Policy Advisor to UN (FAO), Chief Secretary, State Governments of West Bengal and Tripura, Secretary to the Ministry of Food and Agriculture, Government of India.
- President: Prof. V. Suryanarayan
Former Director, Centre for South and South East Asian Studies, University of Madras, Chennai, India.
- Vice- President: Mr. M.R. Sivaraman IAS (retd)
Former Revenue Secretary, Ministry of Finance Govt.India
- Vice -President:Ambassador C.V.Ranganathan IFS (retd)
Former Ambassador of India to China
- Secretary and Director: Mr. D.S. Rajan
Former Director, Cabinet Secretariat, Government of India
- Treasurer: Col. R.Hariharan,
VSM, Retired Officer of Intelligence Corps, India.
- Mr. B.Raman
Additional Secretary (Retd), Cabinet Secretariat, Government. of India, New Delhi.
- Mr. T. Ananthachari IPS (Retd)
Former Director-General, Border Security Force, Government of India.
Former Joint Secretary (retd)
Ministry of Finance, Government of India
- Commodore R.S.Vasan (I.N. retd)
Former Chief, Coast Guard (East)
- Prof. Ramu Manivannan
Head, Department of Politics and Public Administration
University of Madras